Loop the Lake
LOOP THE LAKE is a do it yourself road rally, which took place in the first half of September, 2015, where electric motorcycles road over 1,200 miles circumnavigating Lake Michigan, without using a single drop of gasoline.
Rider and tinkerer Ben Nelson made the complete journey, joined in sections by other riders, and shot footage for a documentary film, including interviews with some of the most interesting and creative people on both sides of the “Third Coast”, building clean transportation projects and finding out what motivates them to do so.
The route of the trip roughly followed the coast of Lake Michigan, traveling clockwise, hitting public electric vehicle charging stations, camp-grounds, and major cities.
The following links go to blog updates of modifying the electric motorcycle, and then following the trip itself on a day by day basis, and then follow-up from the trip.
- 7/24/2015 - Charging with Power Supplies
- 8/2/2015 Charging, Adapters, and RV Parks
- 8/12/2015 Triple Charger Real-World Testing
- 8/14/2015 Please Help support the project!
- 8/18/2015 Official Route and Timeline
- 8/27/2015 Progress and Setbacks
- 8/29/2015 4 Days to Go…
- 8/31/2015 2 Days to Go.
- 9/2/2015 Day before leaving
- 9/3/2015 Day 1
- 9/4/2015 Day 2, Part 1
- 9/4/2015 Day 2, Part 2
- 9/5/2015 Day 3
- Back home, returned from the trip.
- 9/30/2015 Ben on Wisconsin Public Radio